Monday, March 21, 2011

Irish cricketers in a dilemma

Choosing cricket over studies is a decision most teenagers take during their growing- up years if they want to turn professionals, but having to choose between playing cricket and earning a living for one’s family is one test no cricketer likes to go through.

But that is the challenge the Irish cricketers are set to face after their World Cup campaign ends on Friday. With the amount of talent on display in the Irish ranks, it would be sad if Ireland cricketers suffer the fate suffered by their Kenyan counterparts after their dream run in the 2003 World Cup.

While it is true that political mismanagement crushed the fate of cricket in Kenya, as the players opted not to represent their country, the lack of financial stability could force the Irish cricketers to do the same.

With the idea of contracted players not yet coming into Cricket Ireland’s scheme of things, the players will have a tough time feeding their families once they return to their homeland. The only exceptions to this will be the likes of Ed Joyce, Niall O’Brien and George Dockrell — all have county contracts.

For Trent Johnston, one of the senior- most players, it will be back to searching for a part- time job as he quit his previous job before the World Cup.

“ I was working as an executive at an apparel company owned by singer Bono’s wife Ali Hewson. But since we had a long line of pre- tournament camps and stuff, I had to quit my job. After heading back, it will be time to run from pillar to post to get a part- time job as I can’t concentrate on my cricketing career if I take up a full- time job,” he said. The situation isn’t any better for the likes of Andrew White, a school teacher in Dublin.

“ It gets really difficult to balance between teaching and cricket. Although we aren’t contracted players, playing cricket and teaching are two full- time professions and it is very tough to handle both. Maybe I will have to make the tough choice of quitting cricket as feeding the family is important,” he said.

Dockrell, one of the most talented bowlers in the side, has another dilemma. Although he has a county contract, he is also keen on pursuing his studies further. “ I am in a fix. Should I pursue my studies or continue the contract I have with Somerset. I would love to play cricket but with not many opportunities back home, I have to stay in England if I have to play,” he said.

All these players want is some help from the ICC to ensure that more top teams visit them and the game gets more viewership and boost in the country.

By Admin with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  • Popular
  • Categories
  • Archives